Yoked to the Yeast

Today I read chapter 17 of John. This chapter, and the previous two, are the only ones like them in all four Gospels. In chapter 17, Jesus is praying before they leave the house to go to the garden of gethsemane. He is praying for "those that are his"--the disciples and those to come-- and it's pretty awesome when you think about it! The God of the universe praying for US!!

"Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name-the name you gave me-so that they may be one as we are one." (vs. 11b) The notes in my Bible say that the word "protect" here likely means "keep from evil and disunity". But isn't it sad? Right here it says there is power and unity in Jesus' name, and yet people go around using it as a cuss word! Why did this happen??

Maybe because we are not one?

"I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." (vs.22)

Wow...if only America was like this!

But I can guess where part of the problem comes from: "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?" (1 Corinthians 6:14-15)

This is very sad. Many of us can look at friends and people around us who claim to be Christians, yet by Biblical standards (not our own) it is very clear that they are not. Others claim to be Christians, and they might be, but we just aren't sure. How are we to be one if we are constantly yoked with unbelievers??

And this is why I think we seriously need to be praying for a revival in the American Church, rather than our country in general. Either that, or some serious persecution to purge the "yeast", so to speak.

"I pray also for those who will believe in me through their [the disciples] message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me." (vs. 20-21)

"That all of them may be one...that the world may believe." This is no small thing, the Body being one. In fact, it may be our biggest way of proclaiming Christ.

~~~

"Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise"! (James 5:13b)

In Christ,
Ellie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Matter

Gracious Speech - Part 2

Dance Before the Lord