Did Jesus Command? - Part 2

In John chapters 15 and 16, Jesus is continuing to talk to his disciples at the Last Supper.

Another blow-away verse for me was the following -- "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you." (vs.9) As the God of the Universe, perfect in love, has loved his own Son, so the Son loves us?!

These chapters also expounds on what and how Jesus commands-- "If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love." (15:10)

Seems like pretty high bar, doesn't it? But the very next verse says-- "I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you."

We are no longer slaves to sin, but slaves to righteousness! This really is joyous news! But here's another twist-- "I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends..." (vs.15a)

Chapter sixteen talks about how we are to remain in Christ and follow what he commands-- "Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you." (vs. 7) and "When he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth."

We're not in this alone! We have a counselor and a guide--"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." (1 Timothy 1:7)

And lastly-- "Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete." (vs.24b)

But, be forewarned...

"...You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures." ~ James 4:2b-3

O Lord, increase my faith!!

~~~
"Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise"! (James 5:13b)

In Christ,
Ellie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Matter

Gracious Speech - Part 2

Dance Before the Lord