Did Jesus Command?

This morning I read John chapters 13 and 14. There's a lot of things I could talk about, but I want to point out some key verses...

After Jesus washes the disciples feet he says- "Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you."

Jesus didn't just come to this earth, save us from our sins, and leave with no further instruction. He gave us his commands while he was on this earth, and left us always his example to follow!!

And on this subject of commands, it seems like a lot of "christians" these days don't like to admit that Jesus gave us commands. Well chapter fourteen totally blows this out of the water. Jesus says at least four times - "He who loves me will obey my commands" and "follow my teachings" and "do what I have been doing". This is another reason that the "faith manifested by works" doctrine is so sound in my viewpoint.

What are Christ's commands? We have four Gospels worth of his sermons on the subject, although number one is back in chapter 13- "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

That's pretty serious love! Not your average teenage romance/break up the next week. Not the hippie calling for love and peace. Not simply loving those who love you. Not loving only when you expect love in return.

Loving enough to die for someone you hate. Loving enough to call out the sins of those perishing in the flesh. Loving enough to accept insults, exclusion, and persecution of all kinds for the One who first loved us. Patient love; kind love; Love that does not envy or boast. Forgiving love. Love that always rejoices is what is truthful, good, right, admirable, and hates what is evil.

"Love never fails." (1 Corinthians 13:8a)

In Christ,
Ellie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Matter

Gracious Speech - Part 2

Dance Before the Lord