Whiner, Whiner, Forty-Niner (Word Study)

Word Study, Part 9

I apologize for not posting in a while. Although I've been continuing my study on words, I have not made it a priority to type them all up yet. What I wanted to share with you today is actually part 9 (so yes, I am skipping ahead quite a bit) of the study, and can be found in Exodus chapter 4.

In this chapter (and chapter 3), God is speaking to Moses from the burning bush. Moses had run away from Egypt after killing a man, and been living in Midian for quite some time. His own people, the Israelites, seemed to despise him for being a judge and ruler over them, even though he was an Israelite himself.

So, God reveals his plans to Moses--really quite brilliant plans they are...and a bit of digression, but we can see throughout the entire Bible how God makes the best plans! It reminded me of this verse in Proverbs, "In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." (Proverbs 16:9) Shouldn't that be such a wonderful comfort for us--that God, the guy who planned how the universe works, actually takes the time to plan out each of our steps?? Anywho, moving on... :)

In reaction to this, all Moses can seem to do is make excuses, and most of them are pretty lame - "But what is your name?"and, "What if they don't listen to me?" God, being extremely patient, answers all these concerns. Lastly, Moses says, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue." (vs.10) Now, at first this seems rather odd to me, because Moses had spent around forty years in Pharaoh's court, you'd think he'd learn to speak! A lot of this is probably fear talking, but maybe even after all his time at court, he just wasn't that great of a speaker--some people just aren't. But was this a problem for God?

"The LORD said to him, 'Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.'" (vs. 11-12) Dude, this is awesome, right? God is actually offering to basically just speak through Moses! Cool!

But finally, Moses just comes clean, and says what he's really thinking, "O Lord, please send someone else to do it." (vs. 13) What a whiner! After all God has said He would do, and even showed Moses He would do, the guy is still so fearful! He's talking to God face-to-face, and still saying, "I can't do it!" What a...

Oh wait...we do that too, don't we? I know there have been times in my life when I've felt God nudging me to speak to someone about Him, or to encourage a friend in need, and in fear I've excused myself saying, "I don't know what to say! I can't do it!"

"When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worry about how you will defend yourselves or what you will say, for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say." (Luke 12:12)

"But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves. For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict." (Luke 21:14-15)

Ouch.

As Christians, we aren't merely speaking to God face-to-face, but we have him living inside of us! God has promised (and you know how God likes to keep His promises :) that the Spirit will teach us what to say, just like Moses! No more excuses! 

Do we really believe this? If so, no opportunity should be a wasted one. And I have to tell you right now that I'm scared spitless! Partly because now that God has planted this truth in my heart, I know he will test me. And secondly, because I have "taught" it to you...

"Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly." (James 3:1)

...I've automatically made myself accountable before God to "practice what I preach". So I'm pray that I, and those of you who read this (though it may be few), will be brave enough to "not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." (James 1:22) And yes, it's a very scary commitment to make! 

But this road is not a two-way street.

~~~

Love in Christ,
Ellie

Comments

  1. Ellie,

    Thank you for this encouraging post! I have also been reading in Exodus, and when I read through this chapter recently, I asked myself a few of the same questions about Moses' response to God.. And oh man, am I such a hypocrite! I didn't even think about myself, in that context. I pray that God can use this further, to guide me.
    -Kirsten M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, Kirsten, and I give all the glory to God for this post! I just really felt that this is what He wanted me to write, even though I am right there with you in being hypocritical with this verse, and needing to learn!
      Love you, sister!
      ~ Ellie

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

People Matter

Gracious Speech - Part 2

Dance Before the Lord