What is Truth?

Today I read John 18 and 19--the arrest and crucifixion of Jesus.

I was especially interested in John's take on Pilate's reactions. When Pilate asks Jesus what he has done, and if he is king of the Jews, Jesus answers vaguely:

"My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."

"You are a king, then!" Pilate says in verse (37). Jesus answers:

"You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."

Then Pilate asks the age old question- "What is truth?" Pilate doesn't stick around to get an answer to his question, however, and returns to argue with the Jews.

So...what is the truth?

"Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'" (John 14:6)

We all know this verse, right? But it was interesting--when I was looking up "Jesus" and "Truth" on Bible Gateway, I found out something else about truth. Almost twenty-five times in all four Gospels, Jesus says "I tell you the truth..." These truths include things like:

"...it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven."
"... the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you."
"...no one who has left home or wife or brothers or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God will fail to receive many times as much in this age and, in the age to come, eternal life.”
"...no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit."
and
"...unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you."

And what do all these truths have in common? The Gospel!

"To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 81:31-32)

"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." (John 8:36)

Praise the Lord!

~~~

"My heart and flesh may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." ~Psalm 73:26

In Christ,
Ellie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Matter

Gracious Speech - Part 2

Dance Before the Lord