Masquerade

Today I read 2 Corinthians 11-13. Kind of random, I know, but actually, I was trying to go back to an earlier study, a cross reference led me to chapter 11, and I just couldn't stop reading! I love Paul's sarcasm X-)

One verse that really struck me was chapter 11 verses 13-14:

"For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve."

Not only does Satan masquerade, but his servants as well--and this verse is not talking about those in the world, but those in the church! We have to be so careful when hearing/listening/reading/watching what Christian teachers are saying, and check it first with Scripture, and not just accept it offhand if we "feel" it's right.

Later in chapter 11, Paul is "boasting" about all his persecutions, and he ends the list with something we might not expect:

"Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?" (vs.28-29)

Although Paul's physical difficulties were painful, his spiritual burdens were even greater! I know I can be tempted to think--"Yeah Paul was able to face all this physical stuff, but he was superman when it comes to spirituality, so I could never be like him."
His own words here disprove that thought! He suffered in his spirit far more than anything I've ever experienced, that's for sure!

One of my favorite verses in all 2 Corinthians is 12:9-10. Paul is talking about the "thorn" in his flesh, given to keep him "from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations..." Paul pleaded in prayer for it to be taken away.

vs. 9-10 -- "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

I certainly don't have that attitude when I face hardships. Lord, increase my faith!

And lastly, chapter 13:5:

"Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test?"

Wow. Pretty strong stuff. I won't go into all the Scriptures that talk about testing, and what exactly Paul means by it, but I would like to point out that it is there--we should be tested at some point or another, and better we testing ourselves than God doing it!! :)

In Christ,
Ellie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Matter

Gracious Speech - Part 2

Dance Before the Lord