Go and Humble Yourself

Learning to forgive others can be hard, but for me at least, it can be just as hard asking forgiveness for something I've done wrong.

In my earlier blog post (http://elliejoi.blogspot.com/2012/04/relationship-vs-fellowship.html) , I talked about the difference between our Relationship and Fellowship with God. We need to confess our sins to the Lord to restore fellowship, but sometimes (in fact a lot), part of that repentance is confessing and asking forgiveness from other people--especially if you've done something to wrong them and they don't even know it!

And man, I was feeling it this morning. My own words were coming back to haunt me as the Lord convicted me of a couple sins that I hadn't confessed to the people I'd wronged. It was one of those kick-yourself-in-the-pants moments. :)

I felt stupid, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that asking forgiveness isn't just the right thing to do, it's also part of growing in humility. The part of me that thinks "I'm gonna look stupid" is plain old pride.

Here's some verses I looked up on humility:

- "When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom." ~ Proverbs 11:2
Notice that this verse equates humility with wisdom...as in the opposite of being stupid. :)

- This one is a personal favorite of mine: "My son, if you have put up security for your neighbor, if you have struck hands in pledge for another, if you have been trapped by what you said, ensnared by the words of your mouth, then do this, my son, to free yourself, since you have fallen into your neighbor’s hands: Go and humble yourself;" ~ Proverbs 6:1-3

- "Humility and the fear of the LORD bring wealth and honor and life." ~ Proverbs 22:4

- "He {Jesus} called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: 'I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.' " ~ Matthew 18:2-4

So just from these verses, what are the benefits of humility?
- Wisdom
- Freedom
- Wealth, honor, and life
- Some kind of greatness in the kingdom of heaven

So the next time you feel stupid or humiliated when asking forgiveness from others, just remember that the benefits far outweigh the temporary feeling of embarrassment if you are truly seeking reconciliation with others and God.

In Christ,
Ellie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Matter

Gracious Speech - Part 2

Dance Before the Lord