Fear in Witnessing

Hey everyone! Today I'd like to share a bit of insight I received from my reading in 1 Corinthians this morning.

A lot of times, I think, we shy away from witnessing to non-believers or even seeking ways to do this because we're afraid - I know that's how it is for me! I'm afraid I won't say things right, or that the person will think I'm weird, or I'll accidentally offend them, etc., etc.

So when I read this passage in 1 Corinthians 2, the implications leapt out at me:

"When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power." ~ 1 Corinthians 2:1-5 (NIV, 1984)

Remember, this is Paul speaking. I think we would all aspire to be like Paul - to be outspoken, determined witnesses and ambassadors for Christ. But then there's this fear thing, right? The fear seems to be a barrier, so we try to get rid of the fear, but then never end up going out and doing anything!

But Paul says, "Guess what? I started out with much fear and trembling!" Wait, what? Paul was fearful in preaching the Gospel? We know from Scripture that he was always very bold in his preaching, but clearly, that didn't mean he was without fear.

So here's the main point I took away from this passage - especially when we're starting out, being fearful in witnessing is okay!! In fact, it's a good thing! Because, if we trust in how eloquently we say things, or how wise our arguments sound, and how we can answer all the difficult questions, we're not relying on the Spirit. But in fear, there's room for a "demonstration of the Spirit's power", and our faith is also strengthened through this! Yay!!

I hope this passage was as encouraging to you as it was to me, and that we can all learn how to step out in faith and confidence in God's power, despite our fear and trembling (quite possibly to be literal trembling in my case :)

~~~

I love this Casting Crowns song, and it's a great picture of what we might be missing if we avoid opportunities to reach out because of fear.



In Christ,
Ellie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Matter

Gracious Speech - Part 2

Dance Before the Lord