People Matter

Today was one of those first time experiences that I'll never forget. I've been a part of our local Church Body - Southwest Wake Christian Assembly (SWCA) - for right around eight years, and although we've had a dozen births and a handful of marriages, we've never had a death of one of Body members. One of our oldest members, Mr. Bob, was just transferred to Hospice this week with likely only a few more days to live on this earth. The whole situation was rather sudden - I knew he'd struggled with health issues for a while and was weak, but I didn't realize how close he's been to death. Today I got to visit him. Unfortunately, he was sound asleep the whole time, but I still got to talk and sing loudly to him. Even if he didn't hear anything I said or sang, I'm sure God will pass along the message when Mr. Bob falls into His embrace.

I admit, I cried. It was emotional seeing him there, knowing he won't be here for much longer. I was
also sad that I hadn't said some of the things I was saying before. Mr. Bob was a wonderful inspiration to our Church Body, even though he struggled with being bi-polar. He was always very enthusiastic about witnessing to others, when several of us went outreaching at a park and when recounting tales of how God had used him to witness to people at his apartment and at his medical check-ups. He was also very eager to pray for everyone, especially the Youth in the Body. He had so many incredible stories about God's work in his life and those around him, and was always praising God for His goodness. Mr. Bob was a great encouragement to me and I know to several others in the Body. I appreciate everything he did, and love him dearly for it, but I think I may have only mentioned my gratitude once in a passing conversation, and I'm not even sure about that.

On my drive home from the hospice, this lead me to ask the question - why do we always seem to wait until it's too late to express our gratitude for others? Maybe it's because most of us (including me) do not have a heart that seeks to express the gratitude stored up in us until the threat of death gets us thinking about it.

Over the past 20 days, I've taken a break from my study on gratitude to study and experience depending on God, abiding in Christ, and putting on the full armor of God. Today was the last day of my study/experience, and I find it extremely timely that tomorrow, the day 19 devotional from Nancy Leigh DeMoss' book "Choosing Gratitude"is titled "People Matter".

While looking at how Paul was continually giving thanks to and for other people in his letters, Nancy makes the point that, "People matter to God. And they should matter to us. It's important to take time to recognize and express appreciation for the contributions that even little-known people make to His kingdom and to our lives." As part of growing our hearts to become expressions of gratitude, Nancy encourages her readers to make a list of individuals who have blessed or touched their lives in some way, and if they haven't already, to make sure to express their gratitude.


Once again, the definition of gratitude that Nancy gives is, "Learning to recognize and express appreciation for the benefits we have received from God and from others." (emphasis mine) I'm honestly looking forward to start expressing my gratitude to others, especially after my experience with Mr. Bob today, and I hope you all will join me. Whether it's parents, friends, mentors, pastors, teachers, whoever, we don't know how much time anyone has left on this earth. Let's not wait till it's too late!

~~~~

This is one of my (many) favorite hymns, and definitely one of my favorite bluegrass hymns. I got to sing it to Mr. Bob today, and it was a refreshing reminder that Mr. Bob is going to a much better place and soon I'll be there too!


Love in Christ,
Ellie

Comments

  1. This is beautiful Ellie. The young adults at church have a special place in Bob's heart. I have no doubt that your visit was very special to him even if he couldn't express it. It was so sweet of you to bless him with your time and love today :o).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs. Julien! It was definitely a refreshing time for myself as well. :)

      Delete
  2. In following your lead...
    Bob McConnell has been one of my biggest encouragers over the last 5-6 years.
    And you, Ellie, are a great blessing, too.
    You're right, we don't tell people enough. Thanks for your example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Mr. Auer :) And thank YOU for everything you do for our Church, in encouraging the Body, in facilitating, in the difficult task of Church discipline, and so much more! God has definitely blessed SWCA with some great elders, if I do say so myself :D

      Delete
  3. Glad you got to visit him, Ellie. We sang to him while he slept, too, and figured it would at least provide a soothing, peaceful atmosphere for him. We have so appreciated his ministry of prayer for the young adults and sick among our Body, and will miss him very much! Thank you for writing such a sweet post in his honor. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gracious Speech - Part 2

Dance Before the Lord