Dance Before the Lord


Today I read 2 Samuel 6. This is when David and all of Israel are bringing the Ark of the Covenant into Jerusalem. The first time is a failure (the dude touches the Ark and dies, David gets spooked, and lets some other guy take care of it for a while), but I focused my study on the second part of the chapter, when they're bringing it in again the right way.

It says that David danced before the Lord (and subsequently all of Israel) with "all his might". There were shouts, and trumpets, and other musical instruments blaring, I'm sure. Then David began "leaping and dancing" in celebration and thankfulness before the Lord. Not only is David held in honor by the people for this whole-hearted display (as we find out later in the chapter), but David also blesses the people by giving them all food.

However, David's wife Michal (Saul's daughter), despises and condemns David for his dancing, saying that he made an utter fool of himself before the people. However, David answers (paraphrased), "Well you know what...it was before the Lord that I celebrated". David evens says that he will be even more undignified and humiliated in his own eyes (not just Michal's), for the Lord's sake (implied).

I got four points out of this small set of verses that I believe can be turned into application points for my own life, as I desire to glorify the Lord with my talents:

1) David's dance wasn't about self-exaltation
2) He blessed other people in the process
3) He celebrated, praised, and gave thanks to the Lord with %100 of himself
4) He did it for and before the Lord, so to him, it didn't matter if he looked or felt humiliated, because he was doing the right thing, and had the right heart

~~~

Change the world!

In Christ,
Ellie

Comments

  1. hi ellie, my name is christie. i'm blogging through the Bible and was searching for an image of michal. that's how i found your blog (and i'm glad i did!) i'd like to give credit to the artist, and (if there is one) the copyright holder. i'm hoping maybe you could help me find that info?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! This should answer your questions-- http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/קובץ:Tissot_Michal_Watching_David_from_a_Window.jpg

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

People Matter

Gracious Speech - Part 2