HOME! (Ghana Trip Summary)

I'M HOME!!!!!!!!

Ahh, it's good to be back among family, friends, and familiarity! The initial transition was difficult for a few days, combination of jet-lag, re-entry stress, and a family vacation (which makes it hard to get back into the swing of things), but the past few weeks have gradually been getting better. There's still a lot going on, and I have ways to go to get back to feeling on top of things...but it's probably better this way. :) When I am weak, He is strong.

The view coming in over Ghana!
A lot of people have said this to me - "How was your trip? Was it wonderful?" And each time, I'm
sure they wonder why I make this little face, and say, "Uh, well..."

Honestly, guys, it was THE hardest thing I've had to face in my life to this point. It was not wonderful, it was not amazing, and it wasn't even always "fun", and I struggled a lot - BUT...it was good. It was one of those experiences where you learn so much that, despite all the hardships, you wouldn't go back on that experience for anything...but you also wouldn't necessarily do it again in a heartbeat. :)

God got me through, and I can truthfully say that it was the adventure of a lifetime, in both senses of the word! X-)

In this post, I'd like to share a summary of my trip that looks at four aspects - 1) How God used us on this trip, 2) What God got me through, 3) What God gifted me with, and 4) What God taught me.

HOW GOD USED US

The organization I went under is called Eban Project (ebanproject.org), and I went as part of their pioneer volunteer venture. Our directors already had a lot of contacts in Ghana, but we were the very first volunteers for EP, and figured out a lot of things that will work for future volunteers...and a lot of things that won't! :) My teammate, Emily, and I didn't really know what to expect coming to this entirely new and different culture. We certainly had a lot of wake-up calls and days where we felt very weak, but God was faithful all the time! So here are some of the things that He had us do while we were in Ghana:

Some of the kids at HOMWAC Academy, enjoying their new rulers!
- Teach a Christian theater camp at a couple different schools and a church
- Visited several different schools, orphanages, and foster homes, and got to interact with the children and caretakers, and even share the Gospel message a couple times!
- Build relationships with our host families and neighbors
- Visit children sponsored through Eban Project, and even got to meet the children my family helps sponsor!
- Live at an orphanage for a week, and really experience life there!
- Taught basic education to street/low income children at a school/ministry in the slums that, due to a robbery, had nothing! Got to see God provide desks, chairs, a table, whiteboards, and some school supplies!! Also, while at this school, had the amazing opportunity of leading a young muslim girl to Christ!

All glory and praise to His name for the things He did in and through us in Ghana!


WHAT GOD GOT ME THROUGH

Didn't add this one to the list, but our first Sunday in Ghana,
got stuck on the side of the hwy for 2 hrs!
There were a lot of trials to get through, but to quote the Apostle Paul - "That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Cor. 12:10) God got me through...

  • Incredible homesickness, loneliness, fear, and weakness like I've never experienced before
  • Vocal strain, a serious back "outage", and general back pain from the beds (made of foam) and sitting on hard surfaces
  • Illness, including nausea, a nasty malaria-esque virus thing (still not sure what it was, but am thinking more and more that it was NOT malaria), a cold near the end of my trip, general exhaustion, and also dealing with other people's illnesses
  • "Lights off", i.e. the constant power shut-offs, sometimes in sweltering heat
  • Dehydration - especially on our 14 hr. bus ride to the Upper East, not to mention some horribly repetitive reggae music! :P
  • Frustration with Ghanaian and American teammates
  • Awkward and/or frustrating cultural situations
  • Intense annoyance (ok, anger and tears) with certain unruly/stubborn children, who seemed to be constantly doing one or more of the following - grabbing, shoving, cramming, screaming, fighting, beating, biting, poking, etc.
  • Some very slow times, and feeling unproductive or useless
  • Extremely painful African hair braids!
  • Big mood swings, sometimes within minutes
  • Loud, throbbing music late into the night
  • Squashed expectations on many different levels
  • Feelings of uncertainty, feeling stuck, feeling lost
  • Open sewers, burning trash, and generally trashy streets
  • Hug deprivation!! :(
  • A change in diet - to largely carbs, which took a toll on my body sometimes. Also, some really spicy food!
  • A lot of tears :P
  • Out of the blue spiritual attacks on my mind and body
  • Moving to and from so many different places and feeling some homesickness each time
  • People having seizures and a couple ghastly wounds
  • A couple hair-raising encounters with spiders
  • Hand-washing laundry/dishes, bucket-baths, cup-toothbrushing, and some very primitive toileting
  • Getting hit-on and proposed to several times! X-)
  • Horribly bumpy roads!
  • Two weeks spending most of our day in the slums
And more! But...


WHAT GOD GAVE ME

...God also gave me so many awesome gifts!
  • A glorious rest from the pace and stress of life in America. This trip pressed the restart button
    One of my favorite kiddos on this whole
    trip - Zua!!! <3
    on my life in many ways.
  • Soooo many lessons and truths learned through trials!
  • The first hand experience of learning a new culture and people, and learning to appreciate their way of doing things
  • Growth as an adult, in my faith, and just being on my own and learning to "stick up" for myself in word and deed
  • A new friend, my teammate, Emily! :) <3
  • Smiles on the children's faces when you hold/cuddle them (and teach them how to play Ninja!)
  • Dancing, singing, and soccer - the big three that Ghanaians are very passionate about! These activities would even bring the most somber child to life!
  • Getting to be used by God in obvious and not so obvious ways - to bless, teach, encourage, strengthen, and lead towards Him
  • Sardia, the young muslim girl, coming to faith in Christ!
  • Getting to see the providence of God at work so many times!! Strength just when I needed it, a train of events working out in just the right way, etc.
  • Feeling closer to God because I had nothing sand no one else to rely on
  • Some amazing audio books that God used to encourage me at just the right times
  • So much peace! Especially in some really scary times, like when I was sick
  • Getting to preach the Gospel 3-4 times
  • All the support, love, and "cover fire" from the home front!
  • The ability to keep up with home with almost constant internet/phone access
  • Having my eyes opened to how many people are really suffering outside my bubble of comfort
    and protection
  • Getting to share my passion for Christ-centered theater outside my regular sphere
  • Getting to share so much about God just in regular conversations
  • So many prayers answered!!! For strength, peace, wisdom, energy, etc.
  • Getting to witness the poor and "poor" praising God with all their might and relying on Him for their needs!
  • Getting to be extremely close and touch some of God's beautiful, exotic creatures (crocodiles, monkeys, antelope, etc.)
  • Visiting a real rainforest
  • Some GORGEOUS sky views
  • Learning to "rough it" in many good respects, like getting past my dislike of eating chicken off the bone
  • Getting to ride on the back of a motorcycle
  • Walking along a dusty road under a full moon, surrounded by laughing children...
AND SO MUCH MORE!!!!

WHAT GOD TAUGHT ME

"Daddy Lord" taught me so much while I was in Ghana, and hopefully some of those things will be expounded on in future blog posts. He taught me about...

  • Rest, and resting in Him
    Mefia - the little girl God used to help teach
    me more about true love
  • Growing my faith that He does and will answer my prayers!
  • Relying on Him for everything - it's really hard, but really good! Not relying on others for strength.
  • Being close to Him without a "Spiritual high"
  • Open Communication
  • Appreciating my life and ministry opportunities at home so much more!!
  • Recognizing more how important relationships are, and how it's really not good to get too busy
  • To not worry, and just TRUST!
  • Seeing faults in myself to work on
  • Learning more to be thankful and content wherever I am
  • Learning more about what TRUE love really is, and seeing how selfish I really am!
  • Learning that you don't have to have everything planned out to a "T" to be effective and make an influence

Lastly, to close out this post, I'd like to copy a bit of my journal here, one of my best memories from my time in Ghana. And this might surprise you, but my best memory was while I was incredibly sick with what we thought was malaria at the time (and note: we'd only been in Ghana two weeks when we got sick). Here's why...

Me and Emily in the rainforest!
"God has given me so much strength and peace throughout this whole ordeal! Praise His name! Though I am very weak in body, He has made my spirit steadfast with His peace that passes understanding. Literally. It doesn't make sense! I should be miserable right now, sobbing to go home, wishing my Mom were here to take care of me...

"I should be questioning God and feeling like I can't take one more minute of this place. But I don't. Of course, I miss home, and my Mom's love and care - but with God's peace, I know that there is a purpose to all of this, that He is in control, and that He will never leave me or forsake me..."

So yeah, I think that's really all I have to say right now. :)

To God be the glory!

In Christ,
Ellie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Matter

Gracious Speech - Part 2

Dance Before the Lord