Going to Ghana

I honestly don't know where to start with this one! I've been meaning to write this for over a month, but every time I thought about doing it, somehow the words just wouldn't come...or I'd find something else to do. :) This will be a little different than my normal posts, but I wanted to update you all on what God has been doing in my life the past few months.

As the title of this post implies, I am going to Ghana, Africa, in just 24 short days...aaaaahhhhh!!!! It's exciting, and scary, and amazing, and sometimes I wonder what in the world I've gotten myself in to! :) I'll be in Africa for two months helping pioneer Eban Project's new volunteer program (www.ebanproject.com), and I can't wait to see what God is going to do during that time, both in me and through me. And I have a feeling He's going to do a LOT in me, especially this will be my first time traveling overseas, my first time traveling alone, my first time being away from my family for this long, my first time in a third-world country, and so many more firsts! I know I'm going to have to trust in Him even more without all the securities and comforts I'm used to.

Bye-bye comfort zone! :)

The journey to get to this point has been an interesting one as well, and looking back, I see God's hand working in so many ways.

This past Fall, the idea of a going on a mission trip was certainly not the first thing on my mind! I had just graduated college, was in my first relationship, and was trying to figure out how to best use my time without the structure school had given me for the past 18 years of my life. I was also heavily involved in Spiritual Twist Productions (Christian Youth Theatre), and was working hard on memorizing lines for a big role I would play in December.

Come New Year, everything changed. The play was over, God brought the relationship to close, and I was wondering what on earth to do with my life! That's when I began thinking seriously about doing focused mission work in the form of a mission trip. The idea had lingered at the back of my mind for several years, but until that point, I'd never had the time or ability. It was pretty clear to me that God was saying - "This is the time."

But where to go? In such a big world of suffering, and so many opportunities to do God's work, how could I make that decision?

Like always, providence stepped in! :)

In January, I began talking with my parents about what I felt God was leading me to, and they were all for it, as they had been missionaries in China and Mongolia before I was born. I believe it was early February when my Mom came to me with the opportunity that would soon become my goal for the summer.

For the past two years, our family has been trying to adopt a child from Ghana, but due to a difficult situation in the country, have been unable to adopt. However, it turned out that our adoption agent is a director of Eban Project, and because of our close connection with her, my Mom knew she was looking for volunteers for this exploratory venture. The hand of providence was working earlier too when, while in college, I took an Intercultural Communications class. Because of our adoption work, I chose to do my final paper on Ghana, so I was already greatly intrigued by the culture.

After a month of discussion, prayer, seeking advice, and talking with the directors of EP, God gave me peace about the decision to go. The past month and a half has been a whirlwind of preparations mixed with STP plays, and I'm excited about what the next 24 days will bring!

I am most amazed, however, at the providence God has shown in the last eight months in what He's taught me in preparation for this journey before I even knew I'd be taking it! He's taught me:

  • That I cannot just surrender my life to Him, but I have to surrender my will, emotions, and future plans. And that in surrendering, I have to give Him my all, and let Him "turn my mess into a masterpiece."
  • That despite me being ME, with all my worries and doubts about my abilities, experience, and worth, God loves me! Wow!
  • That I canNOT worry or try to burden myself with the things that are out of my control, or try to control more than I've been given responsibility for - there's not point or use to it, and it only means I'm not trusting Him!
  • That even in the midst of mental/emotional/physical exhaustion, I can still worship Him with my whole heart, even if I don't get a "warm and fuzzy" feeling. :) That worship should be my GOAL and not the means by which I seek to get a "spiritual high".
  • That even if I don't "feel" like I'm making much of an impact, God uses me despite me, and "he who began a good work in [me] will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." (Phil. 1:6)
I covet your prayers as I embark on this journey! If you would like to receive updates and prayer requests while I'm in Ghana (internet access allowing), please let me know. And I would also ask that you consider what God might have to give to help me financially on this trip (check out www.youcaring.com/sendellietoghana for more info). 

And as far as prayer requests for the next couple weeks - that God would give me strength and energy to do all I need to do to get ready, as well as peace as I prepare to make this big jump!

Love in Christ,
Ellie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Matter

Gracious Speech - Part 2

Dance Before the Lord