The Fear of the Lord

Well, it's been AGES since my last post, I know, and I just realized I didn't post at all in January :( And unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you see it), today's post is going to have to be a bit shorter as well.

In December, I shared about my study of the Prodigal Son story (http://elliejoi.blogspot.com/2012/12/lost-and-found.html), and August through November I'd been posting about my study on how we are to use our words. Entering the New Year, I made a theme of study for myself for the year, one that I really need - the Fear of the Lord vs. the Fear of Man. I'll be reading through the OT prophets (starting with Isaiah) as part of this study. And just a note, I don't think my study on words is over by a long shot, but for now, it'll sit on the back burner.

Anyways, in my study on Isaiah 12 this morning, I had a super cool insight (at least I think it's cool :) that I wanted to share with you all.

The first three verses of Isaiah 12 read - "In that day you will say: 'I will praise you, O Lord. Although you were angry with me, your anger has turned away and you have comforted me. Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.' With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation."

In short, I realized that a big part of fearing the Lord and not Man is recognizing my salvation in the Lord, and how my life has changed because of it. Knowing that, "surely God is my salvation" leads to comfort (in Him), confidence, trust, courage, and strength which all ultimately lead to joy and praising God! But it's a circular path too, because when we have joy, we "draw" from the "wells" of salvation, and the blessings start all over again!! Joy and Fear of the Lord are directly linked!

I thought this was sooooo cool (and providential) because I'm going through a devotional book alongside my Bible study called "Choosing Gratitude" (by Nancy Leigh DeMoss), even though I thought it didn't have much to do with my Fear of the Lord study, but now I see that it totally does!!


~~~

For my birthday a couple years ago, one of my dear young friends gave me a framed cross-stitch that she made. It says - "There is Joy in the Lord", and sits by my desk as a constant reminder to how awesome God is. I thought the song by the same name would be appropriate to share along with today's study - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsfC2V2s_rg

In Christ,
Ellie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Matter

Gracious Speech - Part 2

Dance Before the Lord